Sunday, February 25, 2007

Wisdom and Discipline

I am reading Proverbs this period of time and I find it exceptionally intriguing and relevant as I am learning to manage stress in my school work and to trust in the Lord.

Proverbs 1
Prologue: Purpose and Theme
1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;
for understanding words of insight;

3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair;

4 for giving prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young-

5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance-

6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

As I read through Proverbs 1, I observed that almost always, the word wisdom is mentioned together with discipline. Solomon seemed to know instinctively that one came with the other! True wisdom comes with discipline. A life of discipline makes you wise! As we read on, we realise that Solomon gives us a hint how to make the right choices with our people - a disciplined and prudent life!

Now, if you think back to what Solomon did as a living, you begin to understand that his words are truely precious! As a King, Solomon probably had to manage many things - his citizens, policies, welfare of the people, international relations, even war! It was important for him to do what was right, just and fair. And the secret to this? Acquiring a disciplined and prudent life.

What then is wisdom? I thought my pastor put it very rightly when he said it is the "art of living." I believe that is what Solomon was talking about when said in verse 3, "doing what is right, just and fair". That is what wisdom is! Doing what is right, just and fair before the Lord!

So what about discipline? How should I live a life of discipline? I believe it starts with creating intentional time to spend with the Lord. And this extends not just to spiritual disciplines but to all areas of my life. Am I living my life intentionally for God? I used to think so. But I realised discipline is something that I am weak at. It is not just something good to have. It is crucial in living my life right before the Lord. I will be looking into the various areas of my life to see how discipline can be instilled. I used to think it was a bad word, this discipline. I hated it. Now I believe it is part of becoming more Chirst-like. Amen

0 comments: