Friday, March 9, 2007

Wisdom is Supreme


Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. This is a recurring theme that Solomon repeats again and again in the book of Proverbs. In fact, he writes many times for sons to listen to their father's instructions and not forsake his teachings. He emphasises it again and again, the words pay attention repeating themselves so many times. What is it about wisdom that is so important? Why didn't he say, Love is supreme, or brokenness is supreme? Why wisdom? Proverbs 4:7, "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all that you have, get understanding."

Those are some powerful words aren't they? I believe they hint at something though. If we study and take seriously all the promises that are given if you embrace wisdom and follow her, we begin to see a glimpse of the life that God meant for us to lead. For example,

1. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered. (vs12)
2. She... will present you with a crown of splendour. (vs 9)
3. She will protect you. (vs 6)
4. They are life to those who find them. (vs 22)

These are only from Chapter 4. If you were to make a list of all the blessings from Wisdom in the entire Proverbs, it will probably extend a few pages.

I can't help but ask myself what kind of life I am living now and comparing against that which the Lord has intended for me to. I fall very far behind! There is so much that the Lord has intended that I am missing out on! So, why wisdom??! I felt the Holy Spirit guiding me back to Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Wisdom is not something that you fill yourself up with and sit on a mountain top and meditate like some guru or sage. It is about putting God's instructions and directions into action, even under many challenging situations we face on earth. Fear and reverence of God MUST propel us to do so! It is not fear in an intimidating sense, but a holy respect that compels and convicts us to live out obedience, not just understand it.

I have been trying to put into application what God is teaching me each day. Yet I find it really difficult to do so. It is a great challenge! There is a sense of lathargy and inertia to constantly apply the word of God in my life. Now, if I understood fully that my life depends on me doing that, would I still give in to all the excuses I make for myself? I doubt so! The truth is, that sense of urgency IS very real! Yet, it is so easy to turn a deaf ear!

I realise my life cannot stay the same. And I need God to change me. I will be spending time praying at least 15 min for myself every day. I want a breakthrough in my life. And I am doing something about it. What about you?!

0 comments: