Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Lord wants ALL your heart

Having meditated on Proverbs 3:5-6 for the past 2 weeks, it was special to come back to it again in Chapter 3. Somehow, it has grown to become one of my favourite verses and one that never ceases to bring me back to the greatness of God and the smallness of my struggles. Each time I read it, I feel the Lord's mighty hands protecting me and His love assuring me that He will make my paths straight.

I was just observing how the verses were written. Often when verses are written in similar format as in these 2 verses, a comparison can be made between both of them. "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." There seems to be a causative effect here. Cause: Acknowledge him. Effect: He will make your paths straight. If I were to use the same structure to interpret vs 5, then it follows that Cause: Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Effect: Lean not on your own understanding.

Many times, we think of it the other way around, i.e. Stop understanding it yourself, and after you have done that, trust the Lord. What God seems to be saying to me is the opposite! Trust in me FIRST! And all the rest of the things shall become shadows in my light. The Lord really is saying this, "Make your focus ME and not your own understanding!" When we choose to focus on God, our paths will naturally become straightened before us, Hallelujah!

0 comments: